Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Day Twelve - I'm going to New York!!!

So, today I got a text from Beata, a close friend in Brisbane. I hadn't heard from her in ages, and it was exciting to hear what she had been up to and that she had just caught up on reading my blog. Next thing I know, she tells me she's coming to New York! In less than a week! And because the only time I can visit her is before exams (between the 7th and 11th), I'm doing just that!

How to get there? It didn't take long to narrow it down to two options; I will likely be going down by myself (but hoping to find someone to come along), so hiring a car isn't cost-effective, especially when trying to find parking in Manhattan. And a plane is way too expensive. So its bus vs. train. And even though its 11 hour journey is about 2-3 hours longer than that of a bus, I have decided I will board the 'Adirondack' train as my method of transportation. Its almost exactly the same price as the bus ($130 return), but has much more luxurious/bigger seats with better recline, a desk to work/study at, a powerpoint for the laptop, great scenery (it is in the National Geographic's top 10 railways in the world), and I can stretch my legs and walk up and down the train.

I'll be in NYC for around 3 days where I can catch up with my friend, explore the city, and chillout before final exams :D If I get bored on the train I might even consider studying... But the trip is going to be great - I can't wait!

Yep, a decision made on the spur of the moment. Damn I love Canada.

2 comments:

  1. New York is cool. Stay in a hotel- hostels are for poor people

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmmm 10 bed mixed doorm ahoy!

    ReplyDelete