Monday, November 30, 2009

Day Ten - Dave the Preacher

So it appears that I'm finding it easier to do a blog every second day. This will be a problem when I have to make up for lost days by wearing shorts and thongs as part of my bet with Marci..

My discussion for today is about a friendly man I met in Lennoxville today when I was out buying some essentials. I was busy going between the three stores in town to work out which was cheapest (will save money in the future!), and this guy walking on the path a distance in front of me saw me and stopped to have a chat. He introduced himself as Dave, and like (almost) all Canadians, he had terrible trouble understanding my name 'Jono'. They all think I've said either 'Jonaa', 'Jonah', 'Jonee', or something of the sort... it isn't till I spell it out that they understand.

Anyway, after having been excited to work out I was Australian and subsequently try out the accent, I had a bit of a conversation with him, and he was very good to talk to. When I told him I needed to cross the road for the shop, he casually asked me if I were Catholic. He was not intimidating about it, and I had no problem in saying I was but hadn't been to Church in a long time. All he did then was assure me that it was OK and all would be fine in Jesus' second coming. A break in the traffic allowed me to cross, and I was surprised to see him still standing there watching me as I entered the shop, calling 'Jono!' and waving...

A retelling of this to some local Bishops students resulted in them exclaiming, "oh, its Dave the Preacher!". Apparently he has a bit of a reputation (not bad) of being the friendly chap in town who will talk to anyone. As I said, I never felt uncomfortable around him, and as long as he can maintain a non-religious conversation I would not try to avoid him...

In other news, I can't wait till this Wednesday (December 2nd), when I'll be finished the bulk of my work, except for 3 final exams starting on the 12th. That means 10 days of freedom, where I'll hopefully be able to hit up the slopes as often as possible, and enjoy the last time I have with all the exchange students who will be leaving...

I may or may not do an update tomorrow. Its not like its cold yet.

Bonne nuit!!!

1 comment:

  1. Funny story with Dave!
    Good night Australian guy ;)

    ReplyDelete